Bin Matar House: Place of Memory

Bin Matar House

 
The Bin Matar House was built on reclaimed land in 1905 and at the time was surrounded by the sea on three sides. Supervised by the Bahraini master builder Mussa bin Hamad, the building was constructed in a traditionally Bahraini manner, using palm tree trunks, sea-stone and gypsum.The building was initially used as the permanent majlis of Salman Hussein Bin Matar, one of Bahrain’s the most prominent pearling merchants. Even as the building was eventually used as a clinic for the famous Dr. Banderkar and home of the Al Eslah Club, the top floor was retained as a residence by the Bin Matar family until 2002.
 
Click here for directions to Bin Matar House and other tourist attractions.